Social Media can be a scary place for all of us. The internet is a rabbit hole of fun, information and misinformation. Below are some of the effects of social media and how we can combat some of it. This is not a tell all guide, but more of a place to start the conversation. If you have any questions please leave a comment or you can voicemail me directly on the website bottom left corner.
Negative Effects of Social Media:
- Lowered self-esteem
- Poor body image
Cyberbullying is also a big and can be a silent aspect of Social Media:
It can lead to:
- Academic problems
- Physical symptoms
- Suicidal thoughts
What happens if they spend too much time on social media:
- They withdraw from face-to-face interaction
- They have consistent anxiety or stress
- They avoid responsibilities like homework or chores
- They feel overwhelmed by normal routines
- Their academic effort decreases and grades begin to slip
- They avoid talking to people next to them by looking at their phone
- Social media creates conflicts in their relationships
For more info, I've attached an article to the resources section for a comprehensive explanation.
All information I used was pulled from this site. I have no ownership of this information.